AIRISI UPMA KOZHUKATAI
It is a good choice for people who prefer dishes without much oil . Also , good for children, but most of the children don’t like this, but if you give them with good side dish , they will like it.
Rice 1 cup
Pepper ¾ spoon
Toor dal 4 spoons
Coconut 1/3 cup
Curry leaf 1 strip
Mustard,urad dal,channa dal,
Hing,cooking oil(2 spoons),red chilly-3 for tempering
Salt as required
- Dry grind rice with pepper and toor dal very coarse.
- Heat oil in kadai, add tempering items, curry leaf and add enough water and salt.
- Once it starts boiling, add ground coarse powder , stir well and close with lid.
- When it is 80 % cooked, and reaches the consistency as shown in photo, add coconut and switch off.
- Once it is warm, make balls in shape as shown in pic, steam in idly cooker for 5 to 8 minutes.
In above procedure, if the mixture is allowed to cook upto 100 %, it is arisi upma.
Brinjal kothsu is a good side dish for this.
We have taken with coriander chutney and spicy mango pickle.