BRINJAL IN RAW TAMARIND
It is a very tasty gothsu item made as a side dish for
- Rice upma and upma kozhakatai
- Kanchipuram idly
Earlier days, we had “kumati adupu” in which we keep the brinjal directly in furnace.
Now, we do on gas burner. Here tamarind water is not boiled in burner, hence the name “pacha puli-raw tamarind”.
Cooking oil-1 ½ tbsp
Urad dal-for tempering
Curry leaf-1 strip
- Place the brinjals directly on burner, slowly rotate and roast fully till it is black on all sides, take out and keep aside (see pic).
- Soak tamarind and extract the water and keep it in a vessel.
- Add salt.
- Remove skin of brinjal and drop into tamarind water.
- Heat oil, add mustard, urad dal, hing, curry leaves and broken red chilies.
- Transfer to vessel( containing tamarind water, salt and brinjal mixture).
- Mix vessel contents breaking the brinjals and red chilies well with hand,immediately.
Pacha puli is ready for serving. We enjoyed with venpongal.