It is just araichi vita sambar with brinjal as vegetable.
There are many versions in this, some say toor dal to be used, some say moong dal, so, I have prepared using both. It came out excellent.
Just follow my procedure, you will get a very tasty “kathirikai rasavangi”.
Tamarind water-1 cup (made from half lime sized tamarind)
Sambar powder-1 spoon
Toor dal & moong dal-¾ cup
Curry leaf-1 strip
For frying and grinding:
Channa dal-2 tbsp
Cooking Oil-1 spoon
- Wash and cut brinjals lengthwise.
- In a thick bottomed vessel, pour tamarind water, cut brinjal , salt, hing, curry leaves (have 2 leaves for tempering), sambar powder and allow to boil and cook well.
- Heat oil in a kadai, fry golden, channa dal, dhania, red chillies and coconut.
- Wet grind fried items (after warming up) as a paste, adding required water.
- Cook dals well in pressure cooker and mash it.
- Once the brinjal is cooked fully and raw smell of tamarind vanishes, add paste and dal.
- Season with mustard and curry leaves in oil.
We took it with idly & dosa . Tasted superb.