It is a famous traditional item for us, of kuzhambu/kootu variety, made with til, gingelly oil (good qty) and other items. I want to thank my chithi, my mom’s younger sister who is an expert in preparing this. she is next to my mom in cooking, lives in Sivakasi, gave a quick recap of uppu charu when I called her over phone while arranging items for making it.
Raw banana-1 (I have not shown in pic)
Tamarind extract-taken from full lime size tamarind.
For frying and powdering:
Urad dal-3 tbsp
Channa dal-3 tbsp
Toor dal-3 tbsp
Red chilly-10(this alone fry in little oil)
Gingelly oil-1 small cup
Curry leaves-1 strip
- Dry fry, mustard, til, urad dal, channa dal, toor dal, rice and allow to warm up for making powder.
- Fry in little oil, red chillies.
- Powder all together.
- Cut all the vegetables of equal size, wash them ,boil and cook well in tamarind water along with salt.
- Heat oil in kadai, add mustard, half of curry leaves, methi seeds(optional), hing(optional).
- Transfer the powder to kadai. When it starts coming up, (may be a minute), transfer the boiled contents of tamarind water with vegetables and allow to boil for few more minutes.
- Switch off and garnish with curry leaves.
Very tasty gravy like kuzhambu is ready, which can be taken with white rice and ghee.