It is a famous traditional item for us, of kuzhambu/kootu variety, made with til, gingelly oil (good qty) and other items. I want to thank my chithi, my mom’s younger sister who is an expert in preparing this. she is next to my mom in cooking, lives in Sivakasi, gave a quick recap of uppu charu when I called her over phone while arranging items for making it.
Raw banana 1 (I have not shown in photo)
Lady’s finger 6
Mustard 1 ½ spoons
Urad dal handful
Channa dal handful
Toor dal handful
Red chilly 10
Gingelly oil 1 small cup
Curry leaves 1 strip
Methi seeds very very small pinch(optional)
Hing very very small pinch(optional)
Salt as required
Rice ½ spoon
Tamarind extract made from full lime size tamarind.
- Dry fry, til, mustard-1 spoon, urad dal, channa dal, toor dal, rice and allow to warm up for making powder.
- Fry in little oil, red chillies.
- Powder all together.
- Cut all the vegetables of equal size, wash them ,boil and cook well in tamarind water along with salt.
- Heat oil in kadai, add mustard, half of curry leaves, methi seeds(optional, hing(optional).
- Transfer the powder to kadai. When it starts coming up, (may be a minute), transfer the boiled contents of tamarind water with vegetables and allow to boil for few more minutes.
- Switch off and garnish with curry leaves.