It is an excellent Italian dish.
- Olive oil, for baking sheets
- 2 large eggs or water
- 3/4 cup plain dry breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup finely grated Parmesan, plus 2 tablespoons for topping
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 large eggplant peeled and sliced into thin slices
- 6 cups (48 ounces) store-bought chunky marinara sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Dip eggplant slices in water or egg, then in bread crumbs. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes on both sides or until the egg plant gets crispier.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter in a saucepan and warm up the marinara sauce.
- In a casserole, arrange half the eggplant in dish; cover with 2 cups sauce, then 1/2 cup mozzarella. Repeat with remaining eggplant, sauce, and mozzarella; sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan.
- Bake until sauce is bubbling and cheese is melted, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Add oregano,dried basil, pepper, salt and crushed red pepper according to taste and enjoy!
By Mrs. Janani Sriram, my daughter.