LAYERED VEGETABLE BRIYANI
Basmati rice ½ kg
Food colour-orange or saffron in little milk
- Soak the rice one hour before preparation.
- Cut the vegetables and chop onions, tomatoes, mint leaves and coriander leaves.
- Heat oil in pan, add onions, sauté a while, add bay leaves, clove, black pepper, cardamom and black jeera.
- When it turns golden in colour, add ginger-garlic paste, sauté a while, add vegetables preferably in the order of their cooking time, potato, cauliflower, etc.
- Add coriander powder, chilli powder, briyani masala and salt.
- Mix well and keep it closed and cook 3/4th.
- Add tomatoes and yoghurt, mix well and allow to boil till water is drained.
- Now add, mint leaves and coriander leaves…switch off burner.
- Boil water in a thick bottomed vessel, wash the rice, drain the water and transfer to boiling water.
- Add bay leaves, clove, black pepper, cardamom, black jeera and salt.
- When it is 3/4th cooked, strain the cooked rice with a big strainer.
- Now, all cooked rice is transferred to strainer.
- In the same vessel, add one layer of vegetables, then a layer of cooked rice, then coriander leaves and mint leaves.
- Add fried onion, big jeera, lemon juice and orange colour(or saffron in milk).
- Repeat the above 2 steps.
- Now, cover tightly and cook remaining 1/4th. Cook for half an hour or till it is well cooked, keeping the burner in low flame.
- Now, tasty layered briyani is ready for serving.