SWEET PUMPKIN KOOTU
In malayalam, this dish is called “MATHAN ELISERI”.
Sweet pumpkin fairly big piece
Toor dal ½ cup
Salt as required
Turmeric powder small pinch
Red chilli powder 1 tbsp
Jaggery small bit
Coconut ½ cup
Jeera 1 spoon
Coconut oil 2 tbsp
Mustard ¼ spoon
Red chilli 1 or 2
Curry leaf 1 strip
- Clean the dal and transfer to cooker.
- Cut sweet pumpkin into big pieces and add in cooker.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, chilli powder, required water and cook for 2 to 3 whistles.
- Make a fine paste of coconut and jeera (keeping 1 tbsp of coconut for tempering).
- Open cooker, add the paste.
- Add jaggery.
- Boil it for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Heat oil, add mustard, broken red chilies, 1 tbsp of coconut and curry leaves.
- Transfer to cooked kootu, mix well and serve.
Recipe shared by Mrs. Droupathy Dasan.