Wheat halwa already posted in my blog was prepared using wheat flour which is a very simple and quick to make method. This is the original recipe, which involves more time and energy, but tastes ultimate.
Wheat milk 1 ½ cups
Sugar 2 ½ cups to 3 cups
Ghee 1 cup
Elachi powder liberal pinch
- Soak wheat overnight.
- In the morning, wash it twice, grind in mixie, squeeze out milk.
- Grind the residual again and take out milk and add to original milk.
- Repeat it 4 to 5 times.
- For this process, you can use as much water as you need.
- Keep the milk for 8 hours(to ferment and also to allow the water to settle on top).
- Pour out the water which is on top.
- Pour the milk along with 3.5 cups of water, to a thick bottomed vesselor kadai, keep it in burner in medium flame.
- Keep stirring for about 20 minutes to half an hour.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Add elachi powder.
- Continue stirring, adding ghee in between till it takes the shape of halwa and the ghee starts separating.
- Switch off burner, fry cashews in ghee, add to halwa, mix well and enjoy this excellent halwa.
Recipe shared by Mrs. Shanthi Jayaraman, my flat friend.