This is a sure snack item in our family for Diwali, prepared early morning on Diwali day along with the sweet item okkorai (I will post that also, when I prepare next), of course with idly and coconut chutney. A lot of other Diwali sweets and savories would have been prepared for a period of 4 to 5 days prior to Diwali day.
My mother is an expert in making this vada and she likes it very much.
Boiled rice 1 cup
Urad dal ¼ cup
Red chilly 6
Salt as required
Hing liberal pinch
Coconut 1 big piece
Curry leaves handful
Channa dal 3 tbsp
Oil required to make vada
- Soak rice and urad dal separately. Soak channa dal.
- Grind after 5 hours, rice along with red chilly, salt and hing.
- Grind urad dal nicely adding little , little water and mix with rice dough.
- Keep it aside for 6 hours.
- Cut coconut into small pieces, add to dough.
- Add soaked channa dal and curry leaves.
- Heat oil in kadai, make small balls, drop in oil, fry golden.