This is a sweet item and looks like puttu.
This is my mom’s special and sure to take place on Diwali day along with “kara vadai”- snack item (already posted).
Moong dal 1 big cup
Vellam ¾ cup
Ghee 5 spoons
- Wash and soak moong dal for an hour.
- Drain water completely and grind a bit coarse.
- Make idlies, cool them and break into very fine pieces without lumps(you can use mixie to break).
- Heat kadai, add a cup of water and add vellam to it.
- Once it starts boiling, filter it and boil again to bring one string consistency.
- Add broken pieces, add half of the ghee, stir and mix well.
- Add crushed elachi, mix well and switch off.
- fry cashews in remaining ghee, add to okkorai, mix well and serve.