AVARAKAI (Broad beans) PARUPPU USILI
Avarakai ¼ kg
Toor dal 1 small cup
Red chilly 4 or 5
Curry leaf 1 strip
Hing small pinch
Salt as required
Cooking oil 4 tbsp
Coconut oil ½ spoon
Mustard, urad dal for tempering
- Wash and cut avarakai into small pieces, cook with salt and turmeric powder.
- Don’t pressure cook since it is a tender vegetable and will lose its taste. Please use a normal kadai or microwave cooking for 4 to 5 minutes. (I cooked in microwave oven for 5 minutes).
- Soak toor dal.
- After half an hour, wetgrind soaked dal with red chilly, little salt and hing. (don’t grind very smooth).
- Heat oil in kadai, add mustard, urad dal , add curry leaves.
- Transfer the paste to kadai and sauté continuously for 2 minutes, till dal is fried and broken well.
- Add cooked avarakai, keep stirring well for 2 minutes and switch off burner. Add coconut oil and mix well.
- For people who don’t want to use more oil, can steam cook the ground dal paste as idlies , break them and follow the above procedure.
It is a very tasty side dish for rice with vatha kuzhambu, morkuzhambu & pepper kuzhambu.
The usili can be made with:
Carrot (already posted)
Cluster beans-kothavarangai (posted already), etc.,