beetroot 4 (medium size)
carrot 2 (medium)
Moong dal & toor dal 6 tbsp
Red chilly 4
Coconut ¾ cup
Jeera 1 spoon
Salt as required
Turmeric powder small pinch
Curry leaves 1 strip
Hing small pinch
Coconut oil – 2 spoons, Mustard, urad dal (for tempering)
- In a cooker, soak dals in 2 cups of water for 10 minutes. In that add, cut pieces of carrots, beetroot, salt and turmeric powder, allow to cook for 5 to 6 whistles.
- Wetgrind as a nice paste, coconut, jeera & red chilly .
- Open the cooker, add hing, curry leaves and the paste.
- Temper with mustard & urad dal in coconut oil.
- Goes well with vathakuzhambu rice and chappathi.
The following vegetables can be cooked in the same method:
- Red pumpkin
- Snake gourd
- Bottle gourd
To enhance the taste, the following vegetables in small quantity can be added:
- Beans – 4