BRINJAL RAW BANANA KOOTU (Thirunelveli special)
Raw banana-1 or ½(if big)
Channa dal-¼ spoon
Tamarind-¼ lemon size
Curry leaf-1 strip
For frying and making paste:
Cooking oil-1 spoon
Whole urad dal-3 spoons
Coconut oil-1 spoon
- Soak tamarind, extract juice and pour tamarind water in a mud pot (if not available, big, thick bottomed vessel).
- Add channa dal to it.
- Cut brinjal and raw banana into big pieces and add to pot.
- Add salt & hing and allow to boil.
- Close it partially (otherwise water may spill out).
- Heat cooking oil, fry urad dal and red chillies(don’t add coconut).
- In mixie , add raw coconut, fried items and grind with water as a fine paste.
- Once vegetable is fully cooked, add the paste.
- Mix it well and switch off burner after couple of minutes.
- Season with mustard and urad dal in coconut oil.
- Add curry leaves. (curry leaves can be added at any stage, even while boiling).
It is a very special kootu of Tirunelveli. Tastes extremely good. It is a feast for brinjal lovers.