This is generally prepared on “Janmashtami” day, in North India.
Aval(poha) 1 cup
Curd 1 ½ tbsp
Scrapped coconut ¾ cup
Salt as required
Sugar small pinch
Jeera 1 spoon
Green chilly 2 (big)
Ginger small piece
Ghee or oil 2 spoons
Turmeric powder small pinch(optional)
Coriander leaf as required
- Chop green chilies, ginger and coriander leaves finely.
- Cut cucumber as big pieces of any shape.
- Wash and soak aval for 5 to 10 minutes, deciding the time depending on the quality of aval.
- Drain water completely, add curd, scrapped coconut, salt, sugar and turmeric powder.
- Heat ghee/oil in kadai, add jeera, cut chilies, ginger and cucumber pieces (burner is required only for this tempering).
- Sauté for a minute and add to aval mixture.
- Mix well and garnish with coriander leaves.