KOTHAVARANGAI PARUPPU USILI
Kothavarangai ½ kg
Toor dal 1 small cup
Red chilly 4 or 5
Curry leaf 1 strip
Hing small pinch
Salt as required
Cooking oil 4 tbsp
Coconut oil ½ spoon
Mustard, urad dal for tempering
- Cut kothavarangai into small pieces, cook with salt.
- Soak toor dal.
- After half an hour, wetgrind soaked dal with red chilly, little salt and hing. (don’t grind very smooth).
- Heat oil in kadai, add mustard, urad dal , add curry leaves.
- Transfer the paste to kadai and sauté continuously for 2 minutes, till dal is fried and broken well.
- Add cooked kothavarangai, keep stirring well for 2 minutes and switch off burner. Add coconut oil and mix well.
If you don’t want to use more oil, you can steam cook the ground dal paste as idlies , break them and follow the above procedure.
It is a very tasty side dish for vatha kuzhambu & pepper kuzhambu.
The usili can be made with:
Carrot (already posted)
and many other vegetables.