It is an excellent rice dish, highly suitable for any time meal i.e. breakfast/ lunch/ dinner.
Basic ingredients used in this dish are rice, tamarind, red chillies and gingelly oil.
Ref: cooking site
Rice 1 cup
Tamarind lemon size
Urad dal 2 spoons
Chana dal 2 spoons
Red chilly 8-big
Hing ½ spoon
Curry leaf half handful
Gingelly oil 3 tbsp
Turmeric powder ¼ spoon
Peanuts(fried) as you desire(adds taste)
Salt as required
- Soak the tamarind in water and extract juice and make the quantity to be 3 ½ cups.
- Coarse dry powder rice, sieve it and take the rava like portion for preparation.
- Break the red chilies.
- Heat oil, add mustard, urad dal, chana dal, red chilies, curry leaves and hing.
- Add turmeric powder and give a fast stir without burning it.
- Immediately pour tamarind water and add salt.
- Allow to boil very well.
- Now, add broken rice, mix well, close with lid.
- In the beginning it will look watery, but once it is fully cooked, it will reach the correct consistency.(see pic).
- Mix well in between till it is fully done.
- The more you add gingelly oil, more the taste will be.
- Add peanuts at any stage(if fried), else while tempering(if not fried).
Enjoy the puli pongal with any mild side dish of your choice.