VAZHAI THANDU (BANANA STEM) PORIYAL
Banana stem is well known for its health benefits. When it is cooked in a tasty way, the benefit is doubled.
Banana stem 1 – big
Coconut 1/4 cup
Cooking oil 2 tbsp
Coconut oil 1 spoon(optional-but enhances the taste)
Red chilly 3
Salt as required
Hing liberal pinch
Turmeric powder pinch
Mustard for tempering
Urad dal for tempering
Curry leaf 1 strip
- Remove the outer covering of banana stem, cut into round pieces first, removing thread/fibre for every cut by rotating the finger and finally chop the round pieces into fine pieces(see pic) and put in dilute buttermilk to avoid discolouration.
- Heat cooking oil, add mustard, urad dal, hing, red chilies and curry leaves.
- Add chopped banana stem, salt and turmeric powder.
- Mix well, sprinkle little water and keep closed with lid in medium gas.
- When it is fully cooked and water is fully absorbed, switch off burner.
- Add coconut and coconut oil.
- Mix well and enjoy tasty poriyal.