It is a vegetable side dish, popular in Gujarat. This recipe is shared by Mrs. Nishitha Jatin, my flat friend. We all had a chance to enjoy this food in our flat party and all my flat friends are waiting to get this recipe since it is a bit tedious to note down in a paper (and to prepare of course). I can say, this recipe is a real feast for those who are much interested in cooking and trying out new dishes.
I have given the English names of vegetables along with Gujarati names where ever required. Still, if you find difficulty in knowing the item, please refer some dictionary or write to me.
Masala – items and method:
Turmeric 1 spoon
Salt 1 spoon
Red chilly powder ½ spoon
Dhania powder 3 tbsp
Garam masala 2 spoons
Coconut powder 2 tbsp
Fennel 2 spoons
Til 2 tbsp
Peanuts powder 2 tbsp
Oil 2 tbsp
Sugar 2 tbsp
- Mix all above spices in a vessel very well.
MUTHIA – items and method:
Methi leaves little
Coriander leaves little
Green chilly 2 to 3
Ginger fairly big piece
Garlic 7 to 8 cloves
Besan (kadalai mavu) 4 tbsp
Atta 2 tbsp
Rava 1 spoon
Salt as required
Garam masala ½ spoon
Til (ellu) little
Sugar 1 spoon
Curd 2 tbsp
- Chop the methi leaves, coriander leaves, green chilies, ginger and garlic finely.
- Add with all other items mentioned under muthia, adding water if necessary into a thick dough.
- Make small balls (the size should match with cut vegetable size) and fry in oil.
- After frying this, the oil may contain small bits of the fried stuff, so use the same oil to continue further to make main dish.
MAIN DISH items and METHOD:
Potato 1 small
Ratalu(purple yam) 100 gm
Suran(yam-senaikizhangu) 200 gm
Tuver Lilva(pigeon peas) 250 gm
Valor papdi(broad beans) 50 gm
Surti papdi(Val bean) 50 gm
Brinjal 3 small
Green peas 50 gm
Capsicum 1 small
Carrot 1 small
Tomato 1 medium size
Cauliflower 2 to 3 florets
Green chilly 4 to 5
Ginger 50 gm
Garlic 10 to 15 cloves
- Cut all the vegetables into medium size pieces.
- Deep fry ratala & suran in oil and keep aside.
- Cook potato in microwave for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Cook tuver, papdi, peas, surti papdi, carrot and all other vegetables with little salt for 2 whistles.
- Heat 4 to 5 tbsp of oil, add mustard(1 spoon), jeera(1 spoon), ajwain(omam)-(1 spoon), hing(1 spoon), peanuts, cashews, green chilly, ginger, garlic and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add tomato, capsicum, cauliflower and brinjals.
- Now add cooked vegetables (take out cooked water, but don’t throw away, use it for adding later).
- Keep burner in sim and leave it for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in between and mix it well.
- Add masala and leave it for 4 to 5 minutes in sim gas.
- Now add muthia and boil it for 10 to 15 minutes till well cooked.
- Switch off burner and add lemon juice and mix well.
- Taste it and add salt or chilly powder if required and mix it well.
Garnishing items and method:
Grated coconut little
Coriander leaves-chopped half handful
- Garnish with above items.