MIXED MILLET UPMA
The awareness and importance of millets in place of rice is being emphasized everywhere through public sites, magazines, TV health shows, healthy cooking, by doctors, etc.,
So, I have decided to make an attempt on it as far as possible.
Ragi-oats dosa is one such and I tried it, came out well and immediately shared with you all in my blog, couple of weeks back. It has become our regular breakfast after that.
My another attempt, taking the idea of my friend about making upma on mixed millets has turned out to be a great success too. Very happy to share with you all.
I have made rava with following combination of millets. However, you can select your own choice of millets and make a rava as shown in pic.
Cholam mentioned below is small pepper sized cholam. (Don’t use makka cholam normally used for popcorn, etc., )
For making millet rava:
Finger millet(kelvaragu) ¼ cup
Pearl millet(kambu) ¼ cup
Cholam(sorghum)-white & yellow ¼ cup each
Red rice ½ cup
For making upma:
Mixed millet rava 1 cup
Water 3 ½ cups
Cooking oil 2 tbsp
Mustard&urad dal little for tempering
Curry leaf 1 strip
Green chilly 4 to 5
Salt as required
- Chop onions, green chilies and tomatoes finely.
- Cook rava, little salt and water together for 4 to 5 whistles in normal cooker (or in electric cooker).
- I cooked in electric cooker just similar to how we cook rice.
- Heat oil, add items mentioned above, in the same order.
- Sauté well and when it is fully done, add cooked millets, mix well and switch off.
- Excellent, extremely tasty & healthy upma is ready.
- The same can be made with addition of vegetables also, adding them after addition of onions(which I was told by my friend and I am yet to try it).
We enjoyed with quick morkuzhambu, which formed a delicious feast.
To visit quick morkuzhambu, click below link: