SWEET PUMPKIN(PARANGIKAI) SAMBAR
Sweet pumpkin – faily big piece
Tomato – 1 or 2
Capsicum – 1 big
Green chilly – 1
Toor dal – 1 cup
Tamarind – small lemon size
Sambar powder – 1 ½ spoons
Salt – as required
Hing – small pinch
Curry leaf – 1 strip
Gingelly oil – 2 tbsp
- Cook toor dal very well in a pressure cooker.
- Soak tamarind and extract juice.
- Wash and cut sweet pumpkin, capsicum, tomatoes, green chilly and transfer to a thick bottomed vessel.
- Add tamarind water, sambar powder, salt, hing, curry leaves and allow to boil well for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring in between.
- Once done, mash cooked toor dal well , add sufficient water and pour the mixture to boiled contents and don’t allow to boil for more than one or two minutes after that.
- Temper with mustard and methi seeds in gingelly oil (if gingelly oil is not available, use your usual cooking oil).
- Tasty sweet pumpkin sambar is ready.